First of all, take a glance to your right of this post and notice the button for the Union Pacific steam train excursion. U.P. is holding a contest to dictate the route of a steam train excursion across the country. Take a moment and vote for whatever city you want - the one you live in now, the one you used to live in, or the one you want to go to should you win one of the sets of free tickets for the trip! (I voted for Pasco, WA, but I may actually vote tomorrow for somewhere closer to UT - you can vote every day!)
OK, now that you've pledged to vote for the steam train trip (or not), on to more familial news. Everyone always asks first off when they call "How's Violet?" Well, Violet is great. Fantastic. Amazing. Stellar. You name it, and if it is good, it applies to our little monkey. She's amazing in every way. She speaks in sentences now, although they often need a bit of interpreting. She amazed Mike and I on Sunday when I asked her to help me put away some of her toys. I specifically asked her where her little plastic sheep lived, and she said quite clearly and with just a hint of sarcasm (or possibly exasperation) "In the barn." She didn't simply say "barn" or "the barn", but she actually said "IN THE BARN." Language development in children is fascinating! Had I the ability to go back to school and study another field, early childhood development would be at the top of my list.
We had a very nice Thanksgiving holiday break last week. I had Wed., Thurs., and Fri. off from teaching at USU, and Mike took much of that time off, as well. We played in the snow, got a bunch of chores done (Mike LOVED being able to cross off so many items on our to-do list...too bad it just keeps growing as we chip away at it!), and took a trip to Salt Lake City on Friday. It was inadvertent, as we did not intend to be out taking part in the Black Friday madness, but I had to pick up my bari sax from the repairman, and Friday was the only day that that was possible. Anyway, it was nice to have so much time to hang out as a family.
Speaking of family, we certainly missed spending the holiday with my family in Idaho, but felt very honored to get an invitation to the Dolny household for Thanksgiving dinner. Violet was thrilled to visit the Dolny clan again, and loved re-acquainting herself with their house (playroom included!)
Just before leaving for the Dolny house.

Violet found the toys in the playroom!

On Sunday, we all took a short X-country ski trip with some friends, Maegan and Ryan. It was a great way to get out of the house on an almost sunny, warmish day. By warmish, I mean that we broke 20 degrees. We've been in a cold spell, as have all of our readers I suspect. Last night was a balmy eleven degrees below zero. Last week we were down to thirteen below. High temps hover anywhere from ten to twenty-two degrees. We're looking forward to some warmer weather later this week - possibly above freezing for a bit!
Anyway, back to the ski trip. We talked Ryan into taking some pictures, in hopes of getting a family shot for our holiday cards this year. I think we got one!
Vi, Mike, Maegan, and Ryan on the bridge over the reservoir.
Family pic. #3
Best wishes, enjoy your wintry weather and your warm and cozy home! I can't imagine trying to live through this kind of weather 100 or more years ago, with no insulation to speak of, nothing but a wood stove, and a baby to boot.
3 comments:
Awwww! I love the double pigtails! Super duper sweet family photos!!! You sure make icy freeekin cold look fun.
Beautiful photos! Thanks so very much for posting them. We love you and we miss you.
Jordan and Kate's post was groovy but you guys have the Violet. Point, set, match.
That little Violet is no baby for sure... growing up into a sweet little girl! We miss you guys and will raise a glass of whiskey'n nog to yas!
Post a Comment