23 June 2009

Nancy!


Nancy came down for the last few days! She came down on Thursday afternoon and left Monday morning. She came down to hang out with Violet and help out Joanna. It was great to see her. She helped us cook dinner and made some nice desserts for us and cleaned up the house some (a never-ending chore) and did some gardening. More than anything she helped Joanna make it through the day. Lately Joanna has needed more support than I alone can give her, so we are incredibly thankful for Nancy's visit. We love to have her visit and always hate to see her go.


Nancy's visit came at an extremely helpful time because I was gone for most of Friday and Saturday competing in the Wasatch Back. Our 11 person team completed 188 miles of running with 14562' of climbing in 27:57 (hh:mm). It's a relay that starts in Logan, UT and goes to Park City. My contribution was 21 miles and 1729' of climbing.


Tonight was not unlike many other nights for Violet. Food, playtime, a post-dinner poop, a bath, a book and then sleepy-time. However, tonight we captured a bit of her bathtime. Violet loves baths. She will splash for 3 minutes straight just for the joy of splashing. I assure you the video is not sped up, she is just that animated.



I also got an iPhone today! A pretty slick device, for sure, but for whatever reason it doesn't want to connect with the 3G network. So... without the network it's not much more than an absurdly overpriced iPod. It also appears that AT&T seems to think I have the second cheapest voice/data plan so tomorrow I'll check with the IT people and find some resolution. Then I'll be cookin' with gas, baby...

In the past 5 days we have planted 6 trees at our place. 1 white oak, 1 bur oak, 1 mountain ash, 1 chaparral weeping mulberry, and 2 cottonwoods. Two more cottonwoods to come later this weekend! Even though the trees are small, they will get bigger - and they already make us feel better.

We had our hay cut today, too. Let's hope it can dry out and get baled before the next rain storm. Lately we've had an excessive amount of rain. If you are the type who really likes graphs, see what the NOAA has to say about it...

Figure 1: Cumulative rainfall for the last 30 days.


Figure 2: Departure from normal for the last 30 days.


Figure 3: Geography refresher (Logan is the "A")


Your reward for sticking around to the end of post? A bonus picture of Jennifer and Violet when she was here last week.

5 comments:

grandmapa said...

Bruce & I really enjoy watching the bath video of Vi. I told him she was just exactly that animated when Jo & I gave her a bath, so much fun to watch her. That duck sure gets a work out!
Jo surely is busy all day with her, Vi is so active and happy. Bruce and I miss all of you.

Kate Comstock said...

Wow. it was like a video in fast forward! you need to take that kid to an apple bobbing tank this fall. If she can catch a washcloth and rubber ducky, she can surely catch an apple. And she'll have teeth by then---so if you start training now, she'll be able to grab it with her mouth. :)

you ran 21 miles, Mike????? you're a crazy bastard. A very fit and healthy person, but a crazy man nontheless. sheesh. I'd be proud to run a mile. more power to ya! So, if you have an iPhone, does that mean no more verizon for Joanna either???? That means no "IN" texts or cell calls.....

joanna said...

Kate - no, I am staying with Verizon. Mike's employer is paying for his iPhone, but there's no way we're shelling out that kind of money for a phone for me. So I'm sticking with my old one, and with my Verizon service. So we're still IN!

Kristen G. said...

I just want to eat her up. She is so cute! Lots of hugs to you guys... it isn't easy but so absolutely enjoyable!!

Kate Comstock said...

Phew...I'm glad you're still IN!!!! :)