05 June 2010

So many pictures, so little vacation time remaining

A few more pictures from our vacation.

Look at this baby goose. You can't tell me that dinosaurs aren't related to birds. Undeniably related.
Violet likes to pet the giant sturgeon.

Joanna, Vi and I went to go visit the approximately 12,000 year old Map Rock on the Snake River outside of Melba, ID. Map Rock is where the Native Americans carved a map of the Snake and Salmon River watersheds onto the face of a rock. Pretty cool, as petroglyphs (and pictographs) go. Follow the link above to find out more about how amazingly cool this basalt boulder is! Of course we walked around a bit and made sure that Violet got tired enough so that she took a decent nap on the way home.




We saw some kind of lizard. Edit: It's a Sagebrush Lizard. (Go figure...)

5 comments:

grandmapa said...

Beautiful photos, thank you.

Jenn said...

I've never been a fan of crocs, but I have to admist that Violet makes them look ADORABLE!

...in stroller news...we got our Bob today! I teared up as we wheeled it (oh so smoothly, like butter) out of REI... seems sort of real now that we've acquired tangible paraphernalia...nope, the belly isn't real enough. It seems it takes a capital investment to hit it home... :)

joanna said...

Yeah, Mike and I pretty much hate Crocs, too. But I thought these fake ones might be the best option for playing in the mud and dirt all day. Easy(er) for Vi to put on and take off, easy to rinse off with the hose, and if we lose one it doesn't break the bank. They fill this role PERFECTLY. And yes, Vi does somehow make them luck pretty cute:-)

Rest assured, we will not be purchasing any for ourselves;-)

And congrats on the Bob! We were similarly excited to take it home, although it came in a huge box so we didn't get to wheel it out of REI.

Julie said...

Nice Rock! Seriously! Very cool! I never thought I would be jealous of a trip through Melba Idaho. Now I think I need to go on a rock pilgrimage.
Violet is, no doubt, kind to all critters but she will find out soon enough that sturgeon are not that cute and petable in person.

joanna said...

We'd be happy to guide you on a tour to map rock. It has no sign, no facilities, and only a dirt turn-out on the side of the road about 100 yards from the actual rock. So unless you know what you're looking for, it is easy to miss.

And good point about the sturgeon...probably not that cuddly in real life;-)

BTW, your Baby Signs book is in the mail!