03 October 2010

Tra-pap!

So Violet is learning about 1 or 2 words per day now! I had no idea she knew the word "table" until she told me that her milk was on the table. It's kind of scary and intimidating how smart that little cookie is.

Much to my delight, Violet loves tractors. Let me be clear, this isn't a gender-role-I-wish-I-had-a-boy-baby-instead-of-a-girl-baby issue. This is simply that I think tractors are cool and I love the fact that Violet thinks that they are cool, too.

So what precipitated all of this tractor talk? In general, one never needs an excuse to talk about tractors since tractors are inherently interesting. In this case, however, there is the additional reason that the farmers that work the acreage that surround our property are either renovating their alfalfa or planting safflower. Let me qualify, we think it's safflower that they have planted, though it could be alfalfa. The reason we don't really know is that whatever it was that they planted was planted using a strange-to-me drilling rig. I would say that it is definitely not winter wheat, but the moment I say that I'll find out it's wheat. The only thing they really plant this time of year is wheat, but they didn't use a normal drill implement nor does this farmer ever practice no-till or conservation tillage methods. Furthermore, given the crop rotation cycle that I've seen this particular farmer use on the rest of his 2000+ acres of fields (wheat-wheat-safflower-fallow-safflower-alfalfa) it should be time for a safflower planting. But you don't plant safflower in the fall, so again I'm confused. I guess he could be subsoiling solid fertilizer (nitrogen) so it can overwinter? Bruce, you gotta help me out here, it's killing me to have to guess about his tillage plan.

Worst case scenario is that we'll either find out this fall or this coming spring.

At any rate, here is Violet telling us all about tractors and salmon burgers.



Of course after her compelling argument for the universal appeal of tractors we had to go see for ourselves...




Violet isn't all business though. Here she is working on her method-acting chops role-playing as a kitty.






btw, this post is brought to you from the magic of in-flight wifi. I'm bloggin' at 35,000'!

12 comments:

Emily, Bob, Etta & Mae said...

Etta loves all machinery also. And I love that she loves a dump truck more than a Disney princess. Just sayin'...

grandmapa said...

She is wonderful! We hope we had some little bit to do with her fascination with the tractors. Thanks for posting the pictures.
We surely do miss all of you.
Please give Vi a couple of hugs for us.

mike said...

FYI, I was talking with a couple of guys from the USDA National Soil Tillage Lab (Ames, IA) and I found out that our farmer was most likely subsoiling P and K and would likely be following with N in the spring. I feel better now.

Kate said...

Haha... I read that whole soil rant/thing out loud to Jordan and it was even funnier (nerdier?) out loud! although it is one of the reasons we love Mike.

DJB said...

Tractors are cool... still trying to think of a reason I should have a backhoe! Had no idea you guys are so in touch with your inner farmer, but glad to see it! What is your salmon burger recipe?

Julie said...

Sorry David. Dylan always wanted a tra-pap too. When he got a little older he wanted a cherry picker really bad. He said that he and some friends would go up in it and ... "look around". Sounds like that is worth $6000 for a used cherry picker, right?

joanna said...

Julie - did you explain to Dylan that a ladder would also provide the same perspective, while coming in at a far lower investment point?

Dave - I'd LOVE to say that we have our own fabulous salmon burger recipe, but we don't. However, Coscto does! Check out their frozen section...

Julie said...

Yes, he has a much better grasp on $ reality now that he is a ramen-eating college student :) He still wants a tra-pap though.

grandmapa said...

we love you, Violet photos are great- we look at them again and again. Does Vi ride the pedal tractor we got for her?? hope so.

grandmapa said...

We got a little rain so Bruce says he will be discing the one field behind the house soon. After he does that he will plow the field and seed it with alfalfa and a cover crop of oats, maybe a little orchard grass too. Mike, you need to come and help!

Julie said...

I just LOVE looking at the picture of little Violet on the wheel!!!

Julie said...

Hey I don't mean to be pushy, but are you gonna make us hold out for another post until the big #2 (I mean birthday, not... )