05 January 2010

Tooth brush

Yesterday was the first day of a lifetime of healthy tooth care habits for little Violet. We started brushing her teeth and gums at night after her bottle. Her old routine was bath, diaper, books, bottle, bed. Her new routine is bath, diaper, books, bottle, brush, bed. She seems quite amenable to the new situation, I think.


I suspect that she finds the feeling of the brush is soothing to her very sensitive gums. Sensitive gums, you ask? Gingivitis so early? No, it's all the huge erupting teeth she has coming in! She has at least three more teeth actively on the way and she is extremely uncomfortable, even in the middle of the day. For example, today our daycare people told me that this morning she was very clingy and somewhat withdrawn - at one point Vi was walking around with her thumb in her mouth and tears streaming down her face. She wasn't crying, just weeping from the pain. A dose of ibuprofen converted teary Vi into normal playful Vi for about 5 hours, which is about how long it took for the vitamin I to wear off. Another dose and she reengaged with her peers. Not normally one to advocate over medication, I can't bring myself to call this over medication when Vi is so clearly in great pain.

Poor little bug...

t-minus 2 days until Vi and I fly across the country together to visit the fam' in MA/CT/NY. It will be an adventure, no doubt.

3 comments:

grandmapa said...

we miss all of you. Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Jenn said...

Can't wait to see the little bug, and her big bug father...!

Julie said...

cute! cute! brusha, brusha, brusha... Violet is a precious new Ipana commercial!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdWfVhlYIM