16 December 2008

Even more average than ever

The little chipmunk had her 2 month appointment with the CMD (Chipmunk Medical Doctor) today. It was a week early, as she is only 7 weeks old, but you get the picture.

Critical stats: 10 lb 9 oz (51%), 22" (43%), 37.6 cm head circumference (26%)

The chipmunk also got her first round of vaccinations today. Her prize was three band-aids. Here is one of the band aids. While I was not at this particular doctor appointment, Joanna reports that Violet was severely non-plussed about having to receive three shots. She screamed and kicked and then after the shots were complete Violet fretted for another 10 minutes.


You know, I am trying to ignore that our girl has a small head but the type-A part of me is having trouble letting it go. The internet leads me to believe that head circumference is reasonably correlated to adult intelligence and more strongly correlated to elderly mental function. Big head as baby = smarter with a diminished chance of Alzheimers. I gotta get over this. I'm thrilled with her height and weight progress. I'm sure our baby will be as smart as she is cute and I'll have nothing to worry about. Nothing like a little performance pressure at week seven. Probably not considered a parenting best-practice.

Joanna has chastised - and continues to chastise - me at great length for these feelings. Our girl is the perfect shape and perfect weight. Joanna is absolutely correct, of course. I need some reprogramming so that I don't propagate these particular neuroses to our daughter.


I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and dog-gone it, people like me.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Our daughter didn't crawl until 11 months. I was convinced until she did that she would spend her life in a wheelchair.

Being a parent is hard, dog-gone it.

joanna said...

OMG, that was a much-needed injection of humor to the subject. Thank you, Amy!

Kate Comstock said...

I"m not sure what size my head was on a percentile chart but I know my mom was boozin' it up (since she didn't know she was prego)when she first got pregnant with me....yep, I was a honeymoon baby. I think I've ended up alright. And being a teacher's aid I've met some kids with big ol' noggins that aren't very bright... I think whomever performed that study probably has BHS (big head syndrome) and is just trying to make himself feel better and skewed the data. ;)

Kate Comstock said...

oh....keep in mind that Charlie Brown had a very large head and we all know he was a couple crayons short of the mega-built-in-sharpener box. I mean, honestly, how many times can you run to kick a football before it dawns on you that THEY'RE GOING TO PULL THE BALL AWAY SO YOU FALL ON YOUR BIG HEAD!

joanna said...

Good points, Kate. Thanks:-)

We certainly hope that Violet will aspire to your level of coolness upon reaching adulthood. Small head or not!