01 November 2008

Introductions to the animals

Just pretend this is the post for Oct 31. I never quite made it to the compter (or work) yesterday.

Here is a photo of Violet saying "hello" to Michaela.


This photo is cool because Michaela had major colic surgery three weeks ago and almost died. Now she is here to look all fancy for the camera. Besides, we promised our equine vet, Summer Peterson, a photo of Violet with the horse once Violet was born. This is cool, see, because Summer has only seen Joanna in preggo-mode, since three weeks ago Violet was still in her amphibian state.

Yesterday was busy for me and my dad as we bucked (out of a hay shed), hauled and stacked 51 bales of alfalfa hay. I paid the farmer for 50 bales but when we unloaded I counted 51. So I went back and paid for the extra bale. It is surprisingly difficult to keep track of hay bales when you are stacking a flatbed trailer like a 3D Tetris game. It's difficult for me anyway, your mileage may vary. I think she (the farmer) was surprised that I was honest and even told her about it. First, I don't like to spread bad karma and second the hay was top quality and I'd like to make sure I can buy more hay next year. I don't think my dad has ever bucked hay before. Then we tarped the hay. I don't think he has ever tarped hay, either. It's good for him to have these growth experiences. Pic of the resulting haystack.


This stack has way more than 51 bales in it. There is probably about 250 bales here. We just added another 2 tons to the stack to make sure we have enough for the winter.

Another slow-ish day around the house. Joanna and Nancy went to town for Joanna's OB checkup and to get some groceries. They also came back with this monstrosity of a pack-n-play. Joanna took some pics for today's blog post.

Other big news, uh... we ordered pizza for dinner?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Mmmm - bucking hay. Fun.

Good thing you got your hay in already. It would be all soggy as of today (Sunday).